Helpful Court and Legal Information for Elders
13th Circuit Elder Justice Center
- The Thirteenth Circuit Elder Justice Center is a court program that primarily helps persons age sixty (60) or older who are involved in the Hillsborough County court system because of guardianship, criminal, family or other civil matters.
Elder Abuse and Exploitation
Florida statutes specifically address abuse, neglect, and exploitation of elders and disabled adults. See Chapter 415, Florida Statutes. Report elder abuse – physical, emotional, financial exploitation – to the Florida Abuse Hotline at 1-800-962-2873 (1-800-98ABUSE)
Legal Assistance for Elders
Reference and Referral Information
- The Florida Department of Elder Affairs is the primary state agency administering human services programs to benefit Florida’s elders.
(For more information, visit their website).
- The Florida Attorney General’s Office provides information to assist elders and other persons in protecting themselves from consumer fraud. For more information, visit their website or
call their toll-free Fraud Hotline at 1-866-966-7226.
- The Department of Elder Affairs’ Elder Helpline can help identify local sources of assistance, including social services, housing, and long-term care issues. The toll free number is 1-800-963-2337
- The Florida Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program utilizes volunteers to advocate for people who live in nursing homes, assisted living facilities and adult family care homes. For more information, visit their website or call their toll-free number at 1-888-831-0404.
- The Florida Alliance for Assistive Services and Technology has an on-line library that provides self-help resource guides on a variety of disability-related laws and regulations of interest to elders, including General Resource and Self Help Information for Older Individuals with Disabilities, Nursing Home and Health Care Resources Guide, and General Housing Resource Guide.