Current Job Opportunity
July 19, 2019
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Trial Court Law Clerk
Third Judicial Circuit, Lake City, Florida
$45,817.20 Annually*, *10% below minimum ($41,235.48 per year) if the individual is not a member of the Florida Bar
The position is responsible for reviewing briefs and case files; conducting legal research; drafting memoranda, opinions, orders, and reports; and advising judges on pending litigation and issues. This is a high-volume work environment, and the individual needs to be self-motivated and dedicated. The largest portion of a law clerk’s assignment focuses on pro se postconviction motions. This position involves very little courtroom exposure and requires an individual who enjoys research and writing.
Education and Training Guidelines
- Juris doctorate from an accredited law school.
- Law review or journal experience and/or advanced research and writing coursework preferred.
- Requires membership in good standing with the Florida Bar or a membership with the Florida Bar within one year of hire.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Possess an interest and strong proficiency in researching, analyzing, and communicating technical legal issues and writing concise and well-reasoned orders;
- Possess a strong attention to detail and superior writing and grammar skills;
- Knowledge of and proficiency in Westlaw or LexisNexis and Microsoft Office Suite;
- Ability to work independently and as part of the law clerk team;
- Ability to prioritize assignments and produce timely and accurate work product; and
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters in accordance with Court Administration policies, the Rules Regulating Florida Bar, the Florida Statutes, and the Florida Rules of Judicial Administration.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted through the People First System and include a cover letter, resume, self-edited writing sample (of no more than ten pages), and law school transcript. Incomplete applications may not be considered. The People First website is as follows: http://peoplefirst.myflorida.com/peoplefirst
Please note: If you need accommodation to participate in the application/selection process, please call Lisa Butler at (386)754-7107. Persons using a TDD may call the contact person through the Florida Relay Service at (800)955-8771. The successful applicant will be subject to a criminal background check. EOE.